Terms and Conditions of Use
The following Terms and Conditions of Use dated as of August 2003, govern use by all Users of Wiley online services, and the electronic edition of the Products subscribed to by the User or the User's institution (the "Electronic Product(s)"). Please read the following carefully because by using Wiley services you are agreeing to abide by these Terms and Conditions of Use.
Your institution may have subscribed to a License which permits you additional uses; contact your institution's librarian/administrator for more information.
The entire contents of the Electronic Product, and each article and abstract and other material available through Wiley, are protected by copyright (unless otherwise indicated on the title page of the article). As a User, you have certain rights specified below; all other rights are reserved.
Rules of Use
- To make Wiley services and the Electronic Product useful, the following rules apply:
- All Users, including Guest Users, will have access to all Content websites within Wiley. You may browse all Tables of Content and for all Electronic Product on Wiley services regardless of what Electronic Product your institution subscribes to, and search the entire database of Tables of Content and abstracts. For most publications, you may browse the abstracts as well.
- Users at institutions which have subscribed to Electronic Product and users who have access under a Society or Personal License will have access to the full text of such Electronic Product ("Authorized Users"). Authorized Users may download, view, copy and save to hard disk or diskette and store or print out single copies of individual articles or items for your own personal use, scholarly, educational or scientific research or internal business use. Authorized Users may transmit to a third-party colleague in hard copy or electronically, a single article or item from Wiley for personal use or scholarly, educational, or scientific research or professional use but not for re-sale. In addition, Authorized Users have the right to use, with appropriate credit, figures, tables and brief excerpts from individual articles in the Electronic Product(s) in your own scientific, scholarly and educational works.
- All Users, including Guest Users, have the option to create a My Profile Page which will allow them to create links to Electronic Product (s), articles of interest and search criteria which may be reused by them and manage their custom e-mail alerting services. In order to do so, Users must register. During the registration process, Users will select and register a user name and password which they must keep confidential and not disclose to or share with anyone else.
- Except as provided above, you may not copy, distribute, transmit or otherwise reproduce material from Electronic Products (s); store such material in any form or medium in a retrieval system; download and/or store an entire issue of a Electronic Product or its equivalent; or transmit such material, directly or indirectly, for use in any paid service such as document delivery or list serve, or for use by any information brokerage or for systematic distribution, whether or not for commercial or non-profit use or for a fee or free of charge.
- In order to protect the integrity and attribution of Wiley services and the Electronic Product(s), you agree not to remove, obscure or modify any copyright or proprietary notices, author attribution or disclaimer contained therein or on any screen display. You may not integrate material from the Electronic Product(s) with other material or otherwise create derivative works in any medium. This is not meant to prohibit quotations for purposes of comment, criticism or similar scholarly purposes.
- You may not do anything to restrict or inhibit any other User's access to or use of Wiley services and the Electronic Product(s).
- If you refuse or fail to abide by these Terms and Conditions or violate any other terms of this Agreement, Wiley reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or terminate your access to Wiley services and the Electronic Products immediately without notice, in addition to any other available remedies.
Wiley is not responsible for any charges associated with accessing Wiley services
and the Electronic Products, including, but not limited to, any computer equipment,
telephone or Internet connections and access software.
Wiley may modify any of these terms and conditions at any time by providing notice in Wiley services. Your continued use of Wiley services shall be conclusively deemed acceptance of such modification.
Wiley may provide links to third-party websites. Where such links exist, Wiley disclaims all responsibility and liability for the content of such third-party websites. Users assume the sole responsibility for the accessing of third-party websites and the use of any content appearing on such websites.
Wiley SERVICES AND THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS AND ALL MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; THE USE OF THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS, Wiley SERVICES AND ALL MATERIALS IS AT THE USER'S OWN RISK; ACCESS TO WILEY SERVICES AND THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS MAY BE INTERRUPTED AND MAY NOT BE ERROR FREE; AND NEITHER Wiley, THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS, WILEY, OR ANYONE ELSE INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING OR DELIVERING THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS OR THE MATERIALS CONTAINED IN Wiley SERVICES, SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USER'S USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE Wiley SERVICES, THE ELECTRONIC JOURNALS AND ALL MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN.
Wiley will seek to ensure that any identifiable personal information it collects during the registration and purchasing processes will be adequate, relevant and not excessive for purposes of operating its websites or any of its services and it will be kept accurate and up-to-date based on the information provided.
How We Collect Information
Wiley collects information from you in two ways: directly from your input and automatically through Wiley's website technologies.
Information You Provide
The types of personal information that Wiley collects directly from you may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- Educational and professional interests and background information;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you submit to a Wiley service; and
- Communication preferences.
In order to access certain content and to make use of additional functionality and features of Wiley's websites and services, we may ask you to register for an account by completing and submitting a registration form, which may request additional information.
If you choose to register and sign in by using a third party account (such as your Facebook account), the authentication of your login is handled by the third party. Wiley will collect your name, email address and any other information about your third party account that you agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your Wiley account to be linked to your third party account.
Information We Receive From Other Sources
Wiley may hold information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Use of Your Information
Wiley may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with information about products and services that you request from us;
- To send you periodic catalogues from Wiley, if you have consented to receive them;
- To provide you with information about other products, events and services we offer that are similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about or other communications containing information about new products and services or upcoming events of ours, our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties such as societies and sponsors, if you have consented to receive this information;
- For internal business and research purposes and to help enhance, evaluate and develop our websites, products and services and to develop new products and services;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our products and services if you have consented to receive this information;
- To respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- To administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time, providing that we have sought your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
Wiley will not disclose your personal information to any third party except as follows:
- Where necessary in connection with services provided by intermediaries, who are required to comply with this policy. These service providers provide us with a wide range of office, administrative, information technology, production and business management services;
- If you voluntarily provide information in response to an advertisement, with the third party serving the advertisement;
- In order to comply with the law or requests by law enforcement agencies, to enforce our Terms and Conditions or to protect the rights, property or safety of our services, users or others; and
- In the event that all or substantially all of the business or assets of Wiley relating to this service are sold or otherwise assigned to another entity, personally identifiable information may be transferred to such entity; and
- Where necessary in connection with providing publishing services on behalf of third parties, such as institutions and societies, providing we have your consent.
Wiley may disclose to carefully chosen third parties navigational and transactional information in the form of anonymous, aggregate usage statistics (including "page views" on this website and the products therein) and demographics but only in forms that do not reveal your identity or personal information.
Cross Border Transfers
Wiley may transfer your personal information outside of your country of residence for the following reasons:
- In order to process your transactions. This may occur on servers in countries other than the country where you live. Wiley has servers and major office locations in several countries, in particular in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Singapore, Brazil, India and Australia and has service providers located in India and the Philippines amongst other countries. Such processing may include, among other things, the fulfillment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
- In order to satisfy global reporting requirements. Wiley may be required to provide your personal information to Wiley affiliates in other countries.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access to such information.
Disclosure in Chat Rooms or Forums
You should be aware that identifiable personal information--such as your name or e-mail address--that you voluntarily disclose and that is accessible to other users (e.g. on bulletin boards or in chat areas) could be collected and disclosed by others. Wiley cannot take any responsibility for such collection and disclosure.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) and shall seek your consent to use your data for such marketing purposes or to disclose your information to any third party for such marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the consent forms we use when collecting your personal data. If at any point you wish to access your personal information to (1) change your preferences, (2) review the accuracy, or (3) correct, supplement or modify your information, you may do so here for electronic communications for emails or by sending an email to email@example.com. You may do the same here for postal mail or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that you may still receive transactional communications from Wiley.
Some territories have national laws requiring a local Data Protection Officer (for example Singapore and Germany). Please click here for the relevant contact details.
Any comments, complaints or questions concerning this policy or complaints about our use of your personal information should be addressed by entering your comments through our Contact Us page.